Wednesday 26 March 2014

Rinko Kawauchi's work is quite poetic and beautiful

With her images appearing quite soft and smooth they flow like the lines of a poem, they are moving and powerful in expressing a meaning through imagery.

 

 

 

 

Rinko Kawauchi is a visual poet, so her images have to tell the story and speak for themselves. She needs to be able to get across the whole story and what she is trying to say with the one image. 

Her work has a sort of soft light haze over them which i find quite interesting and moving, it just makes the image that little bit lighter and moving. Clearly light plays a big part in her images and she is using that is at her disposal.

I came across a brief interview with Kawauchi and a small section of it is below;

"How would you describe your photography?
I don’t know how to talk and describe very well, that’s why I’ve become a photographer, I guess. I want to show my photography without explanations.
How did you choose this medium?
It is in a way a proof of my life. Sometimes I forget what I was doing and photography reminds me of that.
You also write poetry – haiku. Do they form a dialogue? How are they similar for you?
One haiku is like a one picture. I don’t describe my images, I say it within haiku. At the same time, my images are poetic."

http://fkmagazine.lv/2011/12/09/10-minutes-with-rinko-kawauchi/

It's quite interesting because it is made know that the use of poetry is what helps to explain the meaning of the photographs.

"One haiku is like a one picture" a short poem is what fuels the image, this is something that i really like the idea of, it could be something i could link in with my images if it works correctly. I am going to look into haiku a bit more and read more about it and try and find some solid examples.

Another thing is that all of her photographs are square format. This is a format that is slowly growing on me and i think it would be something that could be quite interesting and work quite well within my own photographs as their focal point' are very definitive and stable, i am going to experiment with square format in the future and see how it works with my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment